Use our free Bragg's Law Calculator to calculate the unknown parameters like order, incidence angle, wavelength, interplanar distance within a short span of time. To simply obtain the outcome, enter the known values in the input fields and click the calculate button.
Bragg's Law Formula
Bragg's law is the most important tool for studying crystal structure. It's a type of Laue diffraction used to determine the angle of coherent and incoherent scattering from a crystal.Bragg's law describes why crystal faces reflect X-ray beams at specific angles of incidence.
According to Bragg's law, when an x-ray strikes a crystal surface, its incidence angle reflects with the same scattering angle. Consecutive interference occurs when the path difference is equal to the order of the wavelength.
It is the angle of the incident wave at which the largest diffraction pattern appears, and the formula is nλ = 2d sinθ
- n be the positive integer, order
- λ be the wavelength of the X-ray
- d be the interplanar distance i.e. the distance between consecutive layers of atoms
- θ be the angle of incident X-ray
How to Calculate the Bragg's Law Parameters?
In the sections below, you'll find a step-by-step approach for calculating the Bragg's law parameters.
- Get the list of the data provided in the question.
- The equation for Bragg's law is nλ=2dsin(θ).
- To acquire the result, substitute the specified details in the equation and conduct the relevant operations.
For more concepts check out physicscalculatorpro.com to get quick answers by using this free tool.
Bragg's Law Example Problems
Question: Find the incidence angle of second order diffraction. if the wave length of the X-ray is 0.042 nm with the interplanar distance 125mm.
The wavelength is 0.042 nm
Interplanar Distance 125 mm
Order = 2
We know the formula is nλ = 2d sinθ
To convert Wavelength 0.042 nm and Interplanar Distance 125 mm into Feet
Wavelength = 0.0015 Feet
Interplanar Distance = 0.41 Feet
By substituting the above formula, we get
Angle,θ= 0.00186 radian
To Convert the incidence Angle 0.0019 radian into degree
The incidence angle,θ is 0.107°.
Therefore, incidence angle, θ is 0.107°.
FAQs on Bragg's Law Calculator
1. What is the significance of Bragg's Law?
When using crystals with known d-spacings as analysing crystals in a spectrometer for X-ray fluorescence wavelengths and spectroscopy or wavelength dispersive spectrometry, Bragg's law comes into play.
2. What is the order of diffraction in Bragg's Law?
The diffraction order is a positive integer, denoted by the letter n in the equation.
3. Define the terms diffraction and interference?
Interference is a quality created by waves from two independent coherent sources, whereas secondary wavelets are created by the same wave but appear in different sections, resulting in diffraction.
4. How do you solve the interplanar distance in the equation of Bragg's law?
Bragg's law equation for measuring the distance between successive layers of atoms is d = (nλ)/(2sin(θ). Solve this equation by substituting the numbers.